Friday, May 17, 2013

Government invading privacy?

                          May 7th an AP story was leaked about a foiled terror plot in Yemen. The govt. followed their phone conversations for a couple months. Do I think the government acted properly in this case, and does it have the right to seize journalists' records in matters involving terrorism, or did it overstep its bounds? No, I don't think they acted properly. It's like the Patriot Act (which states if the govt. suspects you have anything to do with terrorism they can invade your privacy because it could be a threat to national security). In my opinion I think they shouldn't have done that. I mean they should have to be 100% sure that the phone conversation they're looking to get is a legitimate threat to the country. If they aren't completely sure then they can find other ways to figure out how to establish if something is a threat. I do understand that they did it to try and protect our country but it still isn't right. I mean think about it like this: you're having a conversation with your friend or someone and even it's just gossip someone could be listening to you. I don't know if it's just me but no matter what your conversation is about it's still PRIVATE.....and private usually means that no one else will know or have the access to it. The government might want to protect us but it's an invasion of privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment